What was I thinking? — A case for code reviews

21. January 2010 One-Time 0
At my 8-5 job, I’m the only Windows developer we have. I have ported an existing old app from VB6 to .Net and then maintained that app for the past 18 months. Today we’re working on some major refactoring that requires me to pull out chunks and make libraries (instead of a large Winform application.) ...

Embed NHibernate.cfg.xml

08. January 2010 One-Time 0
I’ve got some code I wrote that will take a language independent output, and convert it to the desired language (e.g. English or French.) For the longest time, I used this block of code inside my main assembly. However, as functionality increased, users wanted this same information on an intranet website. This caused me to ...

Installer Fun

31. December 2009 One-Time 0
I typed up a rather long rant about how much I hate dealing with installers. There were a few features that I was lamenting not being easy and affordable. Then, as is often the case with me, my rant proved to be a humbling experience as I realized I was doing something wrong. What started ...

More 64-bit fun

30. December 2009 One-Time 0
Earlier, I wrote about the “strange” error I was getting while trying to run XUnit on my project. I just got another error that troubled me. It’s Greek To Me uses a 3rd party DLL that handles converting from trial to full version. It’s not a .Net DLL, so I have to use it as ...

XUnit Error: System.BadImageFormatException

28. December 2009 One-Time 0
As I said in my last post, I’ve been trying out XUnit.Net for a project I’m working on. When I loaded the assembly in Visual Studio, wrote my test and tried to execute it, I kept getting this error: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly ‘ItsGreekTests, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’ or one of its dependencies. ...

New Tools: XUnit.Net

27. December 2009 One-Time 0
For the first 6 years of my professional developer life, I worked in a group that did twice yearly releases. Typically one in April and one in November. To do this, we had about 4 months of “open development.” Small bugs were fixed, and specs and designs were done during this time. We then had ...

Long time coming….

20. December 2009 One-Time 0
Well this is the maiden voyage of the PaleLocust blog.  It’s taken me just about all day to get this blog up and running.  As usual, I did something stupid which inhibited progress. About a month ago, I finally hosted palelocust.com and pushed up a little web project I had been working on.  After playing ...